We're located at 2109 W Hwy 377, just west of town, past the hospital and next door to the Tractor Supply.
CELEBRATION SERVICE: 9AM SUNDAY SCHOOL: 10AM TRADITIONAL WORSHIP: 11AM
Please check out the tabs below for more information on us and what to expect when you visit!
We are Simply Christians. We come from many different backgrounds and worldviews: we are young and old, liberal, moderate and conservative. We are Democrats, Republicans and Independents. We disagree on many things but are united around 3 important truths:
- God loves all people with no exceptions
- Jesus is the Christ and teaches us how to take better care of ourselves, each other and the world
- Everyone is welcome here
We also believe in loving each other (especially) when we disagree! To learn more about our beliefs, check out the OUR BELIEFS tab.
Our mission is to share with ALL people the love of God that we experience in Jesus Christ our Lord.
We do this by welcoming everyone that comes through our doors into worship, study, and fellowship with us, so that we might glorify God together and grow in faith, hope, and understanding (see the CONNECT section of this website). We also seek to fulfill this mission by reaching out to serve "the least of these" (Mt. 25) in Hood County and beyond - especially children and people struggling with hunger and health issues (see the SERVE section of this website).
The official beginning of First Christian Church of Granbury was in the fall of 1873 when Joseph Addison Clark and his two sons, Addison and Randolph, established the AddRan Male and Female College in Thorp Spring, 3.8 miles northwest of Granbury. The history of First Christian Church is closely tied to that of AddRan College, which eventually evolved into Texas Christian University (TCU).
In 1873 when Randolph Clark came to Hood County from Fort Worth to help establish AddRan College, he reported finding a small group of “Campbellites” meeting in the courthouse. J.H. Harbison, the livery stable owner, preached on Sundays. The church began to serve as the church home of Clark and family as well as the students of AddRan College. The Clarks and AddRan (TCU) eventually moved to Waco and finally to Fort Worth, but some congregants stayed behind to minister to the community of Granbury. In 1889 members of the congregation constructed a frame building at the southeast corner of Houston and Bluff Streets. The deed to the building was filed in Hood County on April 22, 1889.
THE ORIGINAL HOME OF FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF GRANBURY
The congregation worshiped in this building for the next 97 years. The original frame building has since been moved to the corner of Bridge and Brazos Streets, where it is now the Dora Lee Langdon Cultural and Education Center, a concert hall of Tarleton State University.
On Easter Sunday in 1986 the members of First Christian Church worshiped for the first time in the newly constructed limestone building at 2109 West Highway 377. In 1998 the congregation dedicated the $1.3 million addition including a fellowship hall/gymnasium, an enlarged sanctuary, a classroom wing, a new and enlarged nursery, a lobby with an atrium and a foyer.
In June 2006 we celebrated the completion of the most recent addition to our facilities. The new building includes offices, bathrooms with showers, two large classrooms for youth, additional classrooms for adults, and a library area. The earlier education wing is devoted to our children.
GROUNDBREAKING FOR OUR NEWEST ADDITION IN 2006
We burned the mortgage to the new addition in March of 2012 and are now completely debt free. In less than two generations, FCC has gone from a worshiping membership that would barely fill two pews to one with a membership of approximately 380 and with worship attendance averaging over 200 each Sunday. We continue to seek to discern what God is calling us to in the days ahead, and we are alway excited to explore new ways to love and serve Granbury.